Date: 4/9/24 9:26 am
From: <rriparia...>
Subject: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Milller Island and Lower Klamath and Shorebirds
After being gone for a few weeks I came to back, to snow! Sunday, I went
to Miller Island. Wow, that area has water, and it felt like old
times! Although it's a bit past the peak for white geese, Snow and
Ross's, I did see large flock in the distance. Greater White-fronted
Geese were scattered around in flocks of a few hundred at a time. Many
species of ducks were present. Julie Van Moorhem saw a pair of
Blue-winged Teal, one of my favorite duck species. I didn't see them,
so I need to pay more attention! I came across Judy Meredith, an
birder from Bend. She had a Eurasian Green-winged Teal in her scope!
Of course it flew away when I got there. I've seen them about five or
six times through the years, so it is a rather scarce subspecies of
Green-winged Teal. The American Green-winged Teal male's white bar is
vertical just in front of their wings. The Eurasian does not have that
vertical bar, but they do have a "horizontal" white bar, below their
back and above their folded wing. I waited and came back to the
location about ten minutes after everyone left. Sure enough, it was
back, and I got some "digiscoped" photos on my phone. That bird is
along the last straight stretch before the boat launch on the Klamath
River. Scan through the Green-winged Teal you might see one. I always
scan through teal flocks in the spring, andn I'll bet that's what Judy
was doing!I saw about four different American Kestrels, some with
their mates nearby. So, it looks like there are numerous pairs that
will be nesting in the wildlife area. That's awesome! At then end of
the long first straight stretch on paved road, and past the HQ
buildings, park on the big pullout with the kiosk board. Scan through
the birds in the flooded land below. There are numerous shorebird
species. Right now BLACK-NECKED STILTS are in force. I saw several
hundred on the refuge on this day. Also present were Amercian Avocet.
What cool bird, and the way it slashes its bill through the water to
seign is unique. There were a few Greater Yellowlegs and Killdeer
there too. The best is yet to come!. Keep visiting that location for
more shorebird species in the weeks to come. Shorebirds are just
beginning to get here! At Lower Klamath NWR on Monday, April 8, I
went on the "Short Auto Route". That route starts at the main
entrance, heads south to Intersection A, turn right at that
intersection, then getting to Intersection F, go right, and follow
that to its exit at Stateline Road, and west of the main entrance.
Although Lower Klamath NWR is receiving water from Tule Lake through
Sheepy Ridge tunnel, I only saw significant water on units inside the
short tour route. I did not drive out past units that were dry to
check on how much "flooding up" was occurring as a result of the water
coming from Tule Lake. I did see water coming into the Lower Klamath
via Straits Drain and Ady (?) canals at Stateline Road. While on the
short loop I saw most of the use along the "Old Growth Willow" row
near the exit. Mixed in with Greater White Fronted Geese there were a
few Cackling Geese (on Sunday, but not Monday). There were many duck
species, one Eared Grebe and one Common Goldeneye, female. A Black
Phoebe was flycatching along the willow near the exit. I am not sure
if the Bald Eagle nest is active. It might be, but I am not sure. I
did not see any head near the rim of the nest from my angle. An adult
was perched near the nest. I did not get out of my car. I try not to
disturb the nesting if there is an active nest. Staying in my car
allowed close views of the adult nearby, so another reason not to
leave the vehicle. I have not been to Tule Lake NWR in a few weeks,
but with the water that refuge has received, and with its established
wetlands that has not suffered years without water like Lower Klamath,
I am pretty sure that refuge might be the more interesting to visit
right now. At least until more water is spread over a great area of
Lower Klamath. Unit of the Lower Klamath on the Oregon side, in the
Straits Drain area has water on lease lands. One of those units had
over 800 BLACK-NECKED STILTS ! That is the highest number for that
species that I have ever seen at one location. About 2000 DUNLIN were
resting in a unit of shallow water along the main Straits Drain road
on the east side. They were the likely target of a PEREGRINE FALON
seen stooping on the flock and scattering them. Since its shorebird
season from now until later May, visiting locations with shallow water
to mudflats can be an interesting stop in the Klamath Basin.Good
Birding! Kevin Spencer

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's
web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
an email to klamathbasinbirdnews+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<e3b15e74-3b28-b5cd-6fb0-17fa565368bb...>

Join us on Facebook!