Date: 4/9/24 6:57 am
From: Joan Collins <joancollins...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Eclipse Bird (& more) Behavior
I am still on a high from experiencing the total solar eclipse! Talking
with lots of birders, the decision for everyone was where to be located
during this event. I made a decision by Sunday morning that my husband and
I would boat 10 miles to the north end of Long Lake (Turtle Beach - one of
my favorite places in the Adirondacks). I wanted a place with certain
habitats and one where we might actually be alone so I could hear wildlife.
My husband had to plow a path through the snow to where the boat was stored
and then shovel snow out of the boat. It was a lot of work and I think he
thought I was crazy, but it really worked out perfect. The forecast was for
75% clouds, so I didn't expect to see the eclipse. But as we boated north,
I saw the cloud line end and it was sunny at Turtle Beach (right to the very
end of the event when clouds moved in!). We ended up with a perfect view of
the eclipse. Although.we were not alone. A surgeon from Albany (& two
guests) flew his private plane (one that can land on water or land) to the
beach! Like me, he said it is his favorite beach in the ADKs. (I had
lyrics from Carly Simon's song running through my head as we arrived!)
After the eclipse, a lot of private planes flew overhead and I guess that
was one way to avoid congested roads (for those who happen to have private
planes that is). It was 60 degrees with calm winds and there was no snow on
the beach. The sand was warm so I took off my boots and socks to be
barefoot, and rolled up my fleece pants, which is all very odd for April 8.
And the fact that we could boat 10 miles on the lake that early is a first.
Two days before the eclipse we heard there was still ice blocking the way to
the north end, so we didn't know if we could actually get to that spot.

I have 4 pages of notes I took over 2.5 hours, but I'll summarize some
wildlife observations:

Before totality:

Many birds vocalized: Pine Siskins, Brown Creeper (singing), Golden-crowned
Kinglets, Black-capped Chickadees. About 25 minutes before totality, a
calling Red Crossbill flew across the lake from east to west. There was a
brief, two-minute interval of quiet about 20 minutes before totality which
was a sudden change. But things started back up again after that brief,
silent lull. A flew beaver splashes were heard in the marsh behind the
beach peninsula. Pine Siskins and Black-capped Chickadees started up again.
Common Ravens gave very loud calls and flew back and forth over the marsh
behind the peninsula. A Song Sparrow began to sing (a second one began to
sing also) and continued to sing.

During this time, I heard a rhythmic tapping sound (4 taps over and over
again). It was leading me into the woods on the peninsula toward the river
(in snow in bare feet!). When I could tell it was across the river, I gave
up trying to walk to it. It will remain a mystery since I have no idea what
it was. (Maybe a nuthatch or woodpecker, but the rhythmic nature was
perplexing.)

A few minutes before totality:

Song Sparrows switched to calling from singing. An Amer. Robin began
calling. A fish leapt out of the lake (not sure if this is significant or
not!). Pine Siskins and Black-capped Chickadees continued to vocalize. A
Northern Saw-whet Owl began tooting to the east of the spot where Long Lake
empties into the Raquette River. But it did not continue tooting during
totality.

Totality:

The Amer. Robin began singing. The Pine Siskins and Black-capped Chickadees
continued to call, which surprised me. A Barred Owl hooted just south of us
and west of the lake.

After totality:

It was really active after totality - and even my non-birder husband noticed
the level of vocal activity, which was like dawn. American Robins were
singing and calling, Red-breasted Nuthatches were very vocal, Common
Grackles appeared in the marsh and vocalized, Common Ravens were vocal, a
lot of Herring Gulls suddenly vocalized and were flying around, a Bald Eagle
flew across the lake to the island where its mate is on eggs (we saw the top
of the eagle's head and yellow bill sticking out of the nest as we boated by
the island), a calling Red Crossbill flew across the lake from east to west
(likely the same one from before totality?), a Bufflehead pair (migrants)
were in the cove vocalizing and diving, Black-capped Chickadees vocalized,
two Tree Swallows (FOS) flew low over the lake calling, Pine Siskins began
vocalizing (about 20 minutes after totality) - at this point in my notes, I
wrote that all the birds were chatty like at dawn! Golden-crowned Kinglets
joined in about 30 minutes past totality. Another Red Crossbill flew across
the lake 40 minutes past totality. Three Common Mergansers flew into the
outlet about 50 minutes after totality. A Red-winged Blackbird began to
call in the marsh. A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (FOS) began drumming, also
about 50 minutes past totality. A few minutes later I heard a Spring Peeper
for the first time during the event. Nearly 70 minutes past totality I
noted it had finally become quiet and we boated back. At our dock, there
was a Common Loon across the lake (FOS).

This is the first total solar eclipse I've ever experienced and it is nearly
impossible to describe how the light changed (and hard to capture in
photos). It was fascinating! I expected it would get dark gradually, but
it was really abrupt! And after the 3+ minutes of total darkness, it
abruptly became light, but again, hard to describe the light. The surgeon
noted that it was like someone suddenly shining a bright flashlight on us!

Here are a couple observations from our younger son and his family at their
Willsboro home (near Lake Champlain): (the photo they sent me of their 3
small (one a baby) children in eclipse glasses was adorable!). They have a
lot of chickens! They roam around outside all day and head into the coup
when it begins to get dark. My son said the chickens started to head for
the coup, but it got dark so fast, that they didn't make it and they looked
lost! (I read a similar account of chicken behavior from a prior eclipse -
not having enough time to actually get to the coup!) He said they also
noted crickets started up during totality! My nearly 4-year old grandson
was very animated about the whole event with me over the phone! I think he
will actually remember it.

I did take photos with my cell phone and camera. If I get any up on
Facebook, I'll send a link.

I hope everyone got to experience this remarkable event. I can now
understand why people become eclipse chasers around the world!

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

--

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")

NortheastBirding_DOT_com/NYSbirdsWELCOME_DOT_htm
NortheastBirding_DOT_com/NYSbirdsRULES_DOT_htm
NortheastBirding_DOT_com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave_DOT_htm

ARCHIVES:
1) mail-archive_DOT_com/nysbirds-l@cornell_DOT_edu/maillist_DOT_html
2) surfbirds_DOT_com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) birding_DOT_aba_DOT_org/maillist/NY01

ebird_DOT_org/content/ebird/