Date: 4/9/24 6:35 am
From: DAVID KOCH <0000012d74227426-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Spring arrivals, etc., Koch property, Northampton County
My location is halfway up the state at its extreme eastern boundary, a few miles west of the Delaware River. Juncos are still around in big numbers but I'm seeing some that I haven't seen previously, indicating migration. A few days ago I had one that looked exactly like an Oregon first year female in Sibley's book, but I haven't seen it since. About a month ago I had an unmistakable adult male Oregon that only stuck around for a few days. Also yesterday one adult male had a white left cheek, causing me to constantly look at it. An adult white-crowned sparrow is still here and most likely will remain for a while. Through the years I've always had white-crowned's right up until around Mother''s Day.  A few chipping sparrows have now joined the white-throated sparrows and juncos feeding on the millet. Goldfinches have returned and most of them already have 75% summer plumage. A few catbirds have arrived and eastern bluebirds are checking out several boxes. A chickadee (sp. ?) is constantly chasing away other birds from a hole in a downed branch where it obviously is nesting or intending to nest.  Yesterday while watching the eclipse I also saw some raptor spring migration. It was partially cloudy, warm, and there was no wind, so it was perfect for spring migration. In an hour's time I saw two northern harriers, a juvenile bald eagle, a redtail, an osprey, and a Cooper's hawk. And on the previous day a merlin strafed the yard and a sharpie spent a few hours along the driveway. It's supposed to reach 75 degrees here today so we'll see what happens.
 Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!