Date: 4/8/24 9:36 pm
From: Howard Friedman <howardnfriedman...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Meanwhile in Alum Rock Park today
Greetings to all the South Bay Birders,

Today, an incredibly friendly and eager group took to the canyon and hills of Alum Rock Park this morning to go on a fabulous birding adventure.  We started with cool weather, but ended with some pleasantly warm weather, ah spring!

While assembling our group we were able to  view a Black-headed Grosbeak, Band-tailed Pigeon, and an American Robin from the parking lot. There was also a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk across from us perched low on a log. (Nice lighting too.) Before we left the Eagle Rock parking lot, we were all treated to a Brown Creeper feeding on the bark of a live Oak.  In the Rustic Lands area we observed a large flock of Band-tailed Pigeons roosting in the canopy. When we stopped at the historic bridge, we got a nice view of a Great Blue Heron fly over.

We headed deeper into the park and found Bewick’s Wrens, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Hermit Thrushes, both Spotted and California Towhees with Turkey Vultures and Red-tailed Hawks soaring overhead.

As we hiked up to Inspiration Point, along the way, we heard a few Orange-crowned Warblers, Warbling Vireos, and at least observed 15 Chickadees in a mixed flock.  A Warbling Vireo was calling from the dense forest below, but we were unable to get a visual.

After spending a few moments listening to Wrentits calling at Inspiration point we headed down the service road where our group found several Red-breasted Nuthatches foraging in some oaks.  Many of the species we had already seen and heard were abundant around us as we walked on.

We found a mixed flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers, Chestnut-backed Chickadees, and Bushtits and it is here where we were all able to observe clearly a Townsend’s Warbler.  A Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, and Nuttall’s Woodpecker were calling nearby.  SOme of the group were able to get a clear look at the Flicker.

Making our way down back into the canyon, we crossed the creek to make our way up the North Rim Trail.  A sizable number of California Scrub Jays were flying and calling from the walls and hillsides of the canyon. It was interesting to compare how the areas along the creek had a high concentration of Steller’s Jays but this species was absent from the higher hillsides.

We came up short looking for two species along the California Sagebrush: The Rufous-crowned Sparrow and the Lazuli Bunting, but heard two different California Thrashers, saw a Violet-green Swallow, a couple of Cliff Swallows, and four White-throated Swifts feeding high above us.

We did get a nice look at a Cooper’s Hawk flying above with several Red-tailed Hawks.

A big thank you to Susan Tenney for being a warm and helpful co-lead. I appreciate your help making sure people could find some of these small birds with better accuracy.

Thank you Andy Melnick for bringing your scope and helping folks get up close and personal with many species today.

Again, I have to say the people really made the trip: What a fun day.  Thanks to those who stayed to share a meal after. That was very nice.

Hope to see you all again on another trip or in the field.

May you be well,

Howard Friedman       (Complete list below)

https://ebird.org/checklist/S167775867 ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S167775867 )

View/Reply Online (#28124): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28124
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county