Date: 4/8/24 8:45 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (08 Apr 2024) 102 Raptors

9:15 am

Observation end time:

4:30 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

7.25 hours

Official Counter

Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Cindy Godwin, Dan Walker, Hal Wierenga, Lynn Davidson

Weather:
Partly to mostly cloudy; 52-70 degrees; some fog early then good
visibility; winds light and variable, mostly with an easterly
component and ending from the SSE, 0-10 mph.

Raptor Observations:
Another good variety day with 11 species. Slow early, then picked
up in the afternoon with all the sharp-shins, kestrels, Merlins
harriers, broadwings and red-tails being counted then.

Non-raptor Observations:
About 100 swallows boiling up in the afternoon. We were happy to
be both hawkwatching and eclipse watching in the late afternoon.
Luckily, we had clear skies or cloud cover with patches of blue so
we had good views of the progress of the eclipse. It was quite
impressive with near 90% coverage.

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>