Date: 4/8/24 3:24 pm
From: Daniel Farrar <jdanielfarrar...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] North Coast Migration
Hello SBCO birders,
Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Daniel Farrar, I am a Snowy
Plover Biologist monitoring and studying Snowies at Vandenberg Space Force
Base. This is my first year working with plovers in California after 14 in
Oregon. I'm also an avid birder so will be looking for oddities while at
work but will generally not have time to count or do any real birding. I
hope to stumble across some fun birds while I'm out there.

During surveys from Point Pedernales to Ocean Park this morning a stiff NW
breeze led to my first day of real migration along the beach. CASPIAN
Terns, CALIFORNIA Gulls, WESTERN Sandpipers and WHIMBREL were all moving in
decent numbers. Other birds moving included CLIFF Swallows, Common MURRES
and PIGEON Guillemots, with many of the latter having arrived at nesting
sites. Surprisingly there was very little loon movement. However, last week
on Thursday 4/4 during calm ocean conditions there were many hundreds on
the water in the area around San Antonio Creek (mostly Pacific and
Red-throated). The most notable birds today were a pair of BLACK Scoters at
Pt. Pedernales. Seems to be getting late for that. I took a crummy
digiscope for a record shot.

At Ocean Park what a difference a few days makes. After Nick reported a
lack of gulls at the river mouth, today I was surprised by a large
gull/tern concentration roosting at the rivermouth. It was comprised of
roughly 400 to 450 birds. There were about 140 Caspian Terns, counting by
tens. Gulls in the flock included about 200 Californias, 30 Westerns, two
Herring, one (maybe two) Glaucous-winged and a large handful that I did not
have time to sift through. Notably the adult BALD Eagle is still in the
area. It flushed the water fowl when it landed on the old pilings.

Sadly most of the base is closed to public access so many of my sightings
will not be accessible. If you do end up at Ocean Park please remember to
respect the closed area for nesting Snowies. That said one could scope from
the train tracks and see the gull roost reasonably well without causing
disturbance.

Good birding and looking forward to meeting some of you afield!

Best,
Daniel Farrar
Lompoc, CA

View/Reply Online (#37165): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37165