Date: 4/8/24 12:41 pm
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Eclipse birdiing at the Ranch
The Ranch certainly didn’t experience a dramatic eclipse like other areas, but we did see some interesting things happen during the peak of the event. I walked the grounds at about at about 9:30 to get a “baseline” level of activity to compare to. Before the sun darkened, the feeders were buzzing with activity and two species of Nuthatches were feeding simultaneously at the peanut dispenser. Many birds were singing loudly such as the Warbling Vireo, Hooded Oriole, Wilson’s Warbler, and Bewick’s Wren. But as the light began to drop to about 65% it became noticeably cooler and it seemed like late afternoon... Fewer birds were singing, and the very sulky WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, who must have felt a bit less exposed, took that opportunity to show itself. Now that the sun has returned to 100%, it is warm again and the birds have returned to their regular daytime activities. The White-throated Sparrow has gone back into hiding.

Matthew

SCVAS Speaker Series welcomes Susan Glass
“Birds are my eyesight"
Wednesday, April 17 at 7:00 PM (via zoom)
https://scvas.org/event-calendar/speaker-series-birds-are-my-eyesighthttps://scvas.org/event-calendar/speaker-series-birds-are-my-eyesight

2024 SPRING BIRDATHON!
Join or sponsor your favorite team and support the SCVAS Education Program!
https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teamshttps://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teams

Matthew Dodder (he/him)
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-252-3748
<director...>
scvas.org

View/Reply Online (#28120): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28120
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county