Date: 4/8/24 8:30 am
From: Carol Riddell via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - March 2024
Hi Tweeters,

With March additions we have reach 120 species for our 2024 year list. In taxonomic order, the new species are:

Long-tailed Duck (code 3), 1 at Water Street (ID photos), 3-31-24

California Quail (code 3), 1 at private yard in Edmonds Bowl, 3-16-24

Western Gull (code 4), 1 at Water Street (ID photos), 3-11-24

Caspian Tern (code 2), 1 at waterfront, 3-31-24

Turkey Vulture (code 3), 1 in flight over a Pine Ridge Park neighborhood (ID photo), 3-17-24

Say’s Phoebe (code 4), 1 at Edmonds marsh (ID photos), 3-10-24

Violet-green Swallow (code 1), 2 in a Pine Ridge Park neighborhood, 3-16-24

Purple Finch (code 3), 1 singing in Southwest County Park, 3-19-24

Chipping Sparrow (code 4), 1 at a Puget Drive yard (ID photo), 3-23-24

Savannah Sparrow (code 2), 1 at waterfront, 3-22-24

There were several code 3 or rarer species reported in eBird with no or inadequate documentation. We will wait to review any subsequent reports that are evidence based. These include Ring-billed Gull, Lincoln’s Sparrow, and Red Crossbill.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or recordings. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2024 city checklist, with 281 species, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. The 2024 checklist, with sightings through March, is in the bird information box at the Olympic Beach Visitor Station at the base of the public pier.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records
Good birding,