Date: 4/7/24 7:01 am
From: Adam Schaffer <000000135bd342dd-dmarc-request...>
Subject: A First for Coler
  Earlier this week I spent a morning birding the Coler Preserve in Bentonville.  FOS Yellow-throated Warblers, Broad-winged Hawks, and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were notable. Much nest building was evident as well including by an Accipiter in a large tree right next to the trail.  The real first for Coler though was not a bird at all.  In over a decade of noting the birds and blooming flowers evident at Coler this was the first time that I noted more wildflower species than birds.  Favorite amongst these was a large sassafras nearly knocked over by a larger oak that left its beautiful flowers slightly above eye level and within easy smartphone distance.  I also bent down for many other photos including abundant Ozark Green Trillium and unfortunately sparse Violet Wood Sorrel.  I only allowed myself a single leaf to sample of those tasty treats.    Giving the birds the unidentified Accipiter and the flowers the many I cannot narrow down to species level either, the wildflowers came through with a commanding 34-27 victory.  This is obviously a sign that I've been watching too much basketball.  Still, it's prescient to note that while we anxiously await the peak of spring bird migration, if we look down now (or up at the sassafras), spring wildflower season is at its absolute zenith.
Adam SchafferBentonville

or click the following link: