Date: 4/6/24 2:11 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] No Calliope Hummingbird this morning
After missing the Calliope Hummingbird at the UCSB Counseling and Career Center Courtyard yesterday  morning, I went back for another try early today.  No luck again and it didn't help that a Cooper's Hawk dropped into the middle of one of the Bottlebrush trees and stayed there for about 15 minutes or so.  Needless to say, everything else avian bolted out of there and kept away until the Hawk left.  Last known sighting of this bird was early yesterday morning when it was beautifully photographed.  Male Rufous hummingbird and a Tennessee warbler continue at this location.
I checked a couple of other spots on campus that can be good for hummingbirds, but no luck on turning up a Calliope.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#37159): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37159
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county