Date: 4/6/24 1:18 pm
From: Aster Droste <eviedroste...>
Subject: Mystery grebe(?) at Two Rivers Park
Currently at Two Rivers in Little Rock. About 30 minutes ago I saw an
unusual waterbird on the Arkansas River, but I didn't have my scope. I
marked it as a Western/Clark's grebe on eBird but I'm not super confident
in that. ID help would be appreciated. Here's the note I wrote on eBird:
"best guess because I didn't have a scope. confirmation would be
appreciated if the bird sticks around, but it's a bit of a hike from any of
the parking areas. seen from 34.8151923, -92.3902254. perched on a dead
piece of wood, then swam around for a little bit, at approximately
34.8196877, -92.3911665.
black body with black extending up the back of the neck and top of head.
white lower half of head and front of neck. the line between black and
white was fairly well-defined as far as I could tell. thick, fairly long,
pointy yellow bill. diving not observed. white color seemed too light and
extended too high for a juvenile double-crested cormorant."
I'm going to go home and get my scope to take another look at it before I
submit the checklist, but it'll probably be about an hour before I get back
to that spot with my scope, so hopefully it stays nearby.

or click the following link: