Date: 4/6/24 7:40 am
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: CANVASBACKS AND NUPTIAL CORMORANTS FROM MULHOLLAN BLIND AT LAKE FAYETTEVILLE
Mulhollan Blind at Lake Fayetteville is a short walk from trail-users parking lot (south of Botanical Garden of the Ozarks). We checked out the Purple Martin gourds first, then headed for the blind. All of this in the middle of a lot of urban busyness and accompanying noise, yet still birdy.

Even with reduced hearing capability typical of an older male, I can hear a Tufted Titmouse. I can hear fly-by calls of Tree Swallows. It’s really quite energizing. You lose a lot with age. I once could hear many bird species a long ways away. I appreciate all that I can still hear.

Mulhollan Blind is artistic triumph and effective vehicle for those with ornithological interests. A large group of volunteers gave their time and money to make this happen. That was 2016. It’s still amazing to find it there, in all of its well-earned glory. Going there is birdy adventure. https://ebird.org/checklist/S167364525<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS167364525&data=05%7C02%<7Carbird-l...>%7C542e5d9a8b8e4344ff9e08dc564785a0%7C79c742c4e61c4fa5be89a3cb566a80d1%7C0%7C0%7C638480112374579569%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=gXihepjS%2Fs1K8xDwxUHzuAuXR3Q%2F6Xyv%2B1oZoSbfJ8M%3D&reserved=0>

And I shouldn’t forget all the aquatic turtles, in full basking display. And old dead trees, fallen in the water. Doing due diligence to the future for a world with turtle diversity.

And swimming by, and mainly not too far out for our bins:

Blue-winged Teal, Gadwalls, and strikingly brilliant male Canvasbacks. All that white reflecting spring sunlight is stunning, even at distance.

Many of the Double-crested Cormorants sport double crests of their upcoming nuptial season. Watching them out in the lake, it’s easy to imagine those shallow lakes and ponds up north, just awaiting their arrival.

Finally, it’s Fish Crow season in Northwest Arkansas City. They found themselves a Barred Owl yesterday. We heard all the AW AW AWs, then the Barred Owl started calling. Then a second answered. Then the crows went silent, and flew over us, as we watched from Mulhollan Blind.

or click the following link: