Date: 4/5/24 8:59 pm
From: Ethan Monk <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] early spring misc.
As spring kicks into full gear I have found once again some more time to
get out and bird around Contra Costa County. Below, in reverse
chronological order, are some highlights.

Today 4/5 after the rain (and in some places snow) last night I headed out
to Richmond for a check of the bayside spots. Brooks Island was active, but
nothing unusual. 35 Brant and 10 G.w. Gulls linger, and I estimated 100
Caspian Terns and 200 California Gulls at their colonies. 2 Snowy Plovers
on the beach were likely wintering birds lingering since 10/22. At Landfill
Loop later there was an alternate ~3rd+ cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull
(perhaps the same as the bird first noted here on 12/22 by Jack Hayden, Dan
Sidle, and Noah Arthur and seen two-three times since) and the highlight of
my morning was a Great-tailed Grackle in Stege Marsh, singing at the
"Richmond Pond"! The handful of documented/acceptable west county reports
are all from spring time, and this was my first for Richmond. Right off
Meeker Slough was a raft of about 120 Aechmophorus grebes, almost all
Western to my eye. Normally Clark's Grebes are dominant or close to in
Richmond, but this big raft of Westerns seems to form here routinely in
March and April, and maybe to a lesser extent in late fall? In the winter
there are often Aechmophorus rafts here, too, but my sense has been that
there is a distinct and noticeable increase in overall numbers and numbers
of Western Grebes in spring.

On 3/31 I made a visit to Bethel Island where I found a Red-throated Loon
swimming in Frank's Tract to add to this season's inland bumper crop. Turns
out Owen Bowie had one nearby on 3/3, and is then likely the same bird.
Interestingly, the year has not seemed that exceptional for Red-throated
Loons where they are expected in Richmond. I certainly recorded more last
winter... Other birds of note on Bethel included a migrant m/f pair of B-w
Teal on Bethel Isl. Rd., two newly arrived female Pintail, and an uncommon
migrant Rough-winged Swallow over Frank's Tract.

3/30-3/31, a Thick-billed Fox Sparrow was very vocal but visually much less
cooperative at the county's only reliable location for this species on
Green Ranch Rd. (Mt. Diablo SP).

3/26 about 200 Snow Geese were grazing on Bethel Island, and on Holland
Tract a largish flock of ~400 Blackbirds in the channel appeared majority
male "nominate" Red-winged Blackbirds. Typically I think of adult male
nominates as departed by April, but perhaps not considering the few hundred
so close to the end of the month. There was also a m/f pair of
Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the group, the male singing frequently. All of
these blackbirds, Yellow-headed included, were gone on the 31st.

Good birding, and happy spring!
Ethan Monk