Date: 4/5/24 2:06 pm
From: Matt Bartels via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: [Tweeters] County Year List Project update for Jan/Feb 2024, up at WA Birder
Hi all -
Here’s the first [and a bit belated] bi-monthly update of the 2024 county year lit project. We’re received updates from all county compilers to get a snapshot of the birds seen in WA in the first two months of the year.

The state total [264] was 15 higher than our total at this point last year and the year before. We’re off to a good start.

The Western WA total [230] came in eight higher than last year, and 14 lower than 2021

The Eastern WA total [200] was nine higher than last year’s total and seven higher than 2022 at this point..

Highlights for the start of the year would include the Clallam Co apparent state-first Song Thrush, the Snohomish Co White Wagtail, and the Skagit Whooper Swan among others. About 15 species had already been found in all 39 counties by the end of February.

It will be fun to see how this year stacks up as we move into Spring migration and new surprises across the state.

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.wabirder.com/__;!!JYXjzlvb!18CjLt1lTQSq6kK-cESc_jVnrJJiLnFE6jn8tQcQTHukTC6W3siJalU2fA1uyXxvSs0fsTalPg$>

A direct link to the 2024 county yearlist & the list of county compilers:
http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html__;!!JYXjzlvb!18CjLt1lTQSq6kK-cESc_jVnrJJiLnFE6jn8tQcQTHukTC6W3siJalU2fA1uyXxvSs1RTwhszA$>

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to begin to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA