Date: 4/4/24 3:32 pm
From: Nathan French <nathanfrenchphotography...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Possible Gila Woodpecker at Abert’s Towhee Spot
Yesterday, Paul L and Matt S suggested a churring Phainopepla as a more likely culprit, and I was unaware churring was a thing they did. Today Andrew N and I went out to the towhee spot (still at least 2 present) and confirmed that it was indeed a Phainopepla churring. Sorry for any confusion or false hopes for a county Gila!

Nathan French
Hillcrest

> On Apr 3, 2024, at 8:36 AM, Nathan French via groups.io <nathanfrenchphotography...> wrote:
> Yesterday while tracking the towhees, I heard what I’m pretty sure was a Gila Woodpecker churr calling (check first call in Sibley App). I didn’t see the bird or get a recording so I didn’t list it, but wanted to put the word out there in case someone else sees/hears it. If anyone knows another bird in the area that sounds similar, please correct me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nathan French
> Hillcrest

View/Reply Online (#15933): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15933
The monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) are currently virtual, open only to members, at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month.

Two notable on-line resources are available for San Diego birders: the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Phil Unitt (2004) - http://sdplantatlas.org/BirdAtlas/BirdPages.aspx ; and an update of notable records for San Diego County (2002–present), compiled by Paul Lehman - https://bvaudubon.org/birding-resources/ .