Date: 4/3/24 10:28 pm
From: John Williams <john...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Marana Owls Question
External Email

This afternoon I cruised by the owl preserve along Stingray Drive in Marana
On the way in I noted 5 Burrowing Owls. On the way out, I noted 9 owls, including a red one.
Now a review of my field guides does not discuss or illustrate a red morph.
I’d like to know if anyone has any experience with this rather odd plumage. It was similar coloration to the red morph Eastern Screech Owl.
It dropped down from view before I could attempt a photo. It was using a burrow on the south west.
There are also many tent structures, I suspect, protecting new burrows

In the lagoons, I saw a pair of Mallards, a Say’s Phoebe and a Great Egret.
Near the road entrance a FOY Western Kingbird was hawking.

The farm on N Lucket Rd had numbers of Red-winged, Brewer’s and Yellow-headed Blackbirds to add to my April list.

Last Saturday at Arthur Pack Park I encountered two Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes.

John R Williams