Date: 4/3/24 9:38 pm
From: Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Freeborn County
I tossed some millet onto the ground for the native sparrows. Juncos enjoy
that seed, and their gray and white bodies covered the seedy ground. Between the snowbirds and the American Tree Sparrows, there was little room for anything else. A couple of Song Sparrows, a few Purple Finches and House Finches, and one more species. I watched the double-scratch behavior of a handsome Fox Sparrow. It used a backward kick it performed simultaneously with both feet to find food in the leaf litter. I’d like to give that a try, but I’m afraid I’d fall beak first into the scattered millet. Each time I see Fox Sparrows, I want to do for them what the Trashmen did for Surfin’ Birds.
During the last couple of snowfalls, I’ve put raisins and bits of suet out for
the robins. They sampled those products but were more interested in eating the millet. I took photos to make sure that’s what they were eating.
Mourning Doves like millet, too.
Good birding, y’all.

Al Batt