Date: 4/3/24 7:45 pm
From: Carol Joan Patterson <0000003a0ccbe138-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Are Rufous-crowned Sparrows extirpated in Arkansas?
Donald and I looked about Christmas time, but alas! No luck.
On Friday, March 22, 2024 at 12:18:11 PM CDT, Jerry Davis <jwdavis...> wrote:

I cannot add to the validity of the continued existence of the Rufous-crowned Sparrow in Arkansas. At one time efforts were planned to try and improve the habitat on Mt Magazine for this bird. Many of those that religiously looked for this bird on an annual basis are now retired or gone. Is there anyone else taking their place?  Jerry Wayne Davis From: Taylor Long Sent: Friday, March 22, 2024 11:43 AMTo: <ARBIRD-L...> Subject: Are Rufous-crowned Sparrows extirpated in Arkansas? Greetings Ornithologists,

Someone reviewing range maps for the next update of Nat Geo field guides recently asked me if Rufous-crowned Sparrows are extirpated from Arkansas. I told them that there hadn't been a confirmed eBird report since the Fall of 2020 but that I couldn't say for sure if they were truly extirpated. Since 2020 is fairly recent in the grand scheme of things, they decided to leave the little purple dot over Mount Magazine for now. Still, I'm curious what others think about this question...

Do we believe there are still Rufous-crowned Sparrows somewhere up there on the mountain? If not, do we understand why they left? Would you consider them extirpated from Arkansas?

Thoughts appreciated,
-Taylor Long

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

or click the following link: