Date: 4/2/24 2:37 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Spring pelagics - Bodega Bay - Half Moon Bay.
Hello all,

Happy spring! We are getting into the thick of it, and while you are
enjoying orioles and warblers coming back from the south, remember that the
marine birds are also on the move. Spring can be an exciting time to be
offshore, with northbound shearwaters, phalaropes, Sabine's Gulls, and
breeding plumage alcids. Lots is going on. In particular, it is a time when
some of the rarer offshore petrels can be found nearer to shore. It is peak
time for Murphy's, and a good time for Hawaiian and maybe Cook's petrels.
They are dependent on warmer water, and often windier conditions. It is also
a superb time out there for Laysan Albatross, and who knows maybe even the
rarer Short-tailed Albatross as there has been one seen in northernmost
California already. Note that we have a multi sanctuary permit that allows
us to do some chumming while offshore. This would apply to both of these
trips.

Water is warmer than usual offshore at this point, hopefully that remains
that way into late April.

Our two spring trips are Apr 28 - Bodega Bay and Cordell Bank

And May 11 - Half Moon Bay, to the Pioneer Canyon in San Francisco county.

You can sign up here, or choose one of the Farallon or pelagic trips later
on in the season. We visit the Farallon Islands in the breeding season
(summer), while the peak offshore pelagic season begins in July and goes
until October.

https://www.alvarosadventures.com/pelagic-dates-2024.html

good migration birding!!

Alvaro