Date: 4/2/24 6:05 am
From: Steve Long <steve.long4...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wounded Bufflehead?
A male Bufflehead appeared in our cove this morning, along with the now
very ruddy Ruddy Ducks.  The Bufflehead is not diving, like the Ruddies
are doing, and appears to be missing at least the flight feathers from
his left wing, if not actually missing a segment of bone.  The visual
effect is white higher on the body, with a black stripe diagonally
upward from where the body should be white to where the back is still
black.  (No it is not a Hooded Merganser.)  When the bird grooms under
that wing, it can be seen to be missing the flight feathers.

I am thinking this is a wounded bird that can't fly north.  It does
appear to be alert and swimming around.

Any opinions on its prospects for survival in the wild?  Besides
wondering if it can feed itself, I am wondering if it will be able to
evade the local Bald Eagles.

Steve Long, Oxford