Date: 3/28/24 10:52 pm
From: Richard Bradus via groups.io <grizzledjay...>
Subject: Re: [pen-bird] Ravenswood Plover - Continues 3/28
To all,
The presumed Piping Plover continued today (Thurs. March 28) at the Ravenswood Salt Ponds, but in a somewhat different location further west than in Logan's report. Also an important caveat (see below).
I spent a couple of hours from about 3:45pm looking for the plover, along with a bunch of others, many of whom left before it made its reappearance. It was windy and we all got thoroughly chilled, but I managed to get good looks at the PIPL - but almost missed it. I spent most of the time with John Luther, Jim Lomax, Emilie Strauss and a few others on and off along the south end (Ravenswood Trail), a bit to the west of that "mud dike" noted by Logan - a mud berm that goes north (which is actually off limits to humans, per a representative of the SFBay Bird Obsv. - there is no sign to indicate thus because there has not been funding or proper administrative action, but is verboten nonetheless). So, please do not venture out that way (better to protect the habitat and not disturb the birds and other wildlife than to attempt a closer look at a rare bird).
Anyway, as we were shivering in the wind, Jim decided to call it quits a bit after 5pm and we were just about to all leave but, in the nick of time, another birder (didn't get his name) came walking by and excitedly indicated that the plover WAS there, flying on and off the muddy prominence/sandbar just to the west with a bunch of semi-palmated. Sure enough, just a few minutes after we "went west", a birder named Sue got a photo (by scanning through the flock) and I was able to pick up the bird a short time later, getting the rest of the group on it. Yea!It was pretty faithful to this spot: 37°29'26.0"N 122°08'31.2"W (though the terrain is actually a bit different than on the Google Map). It was loosely foraging with the semi-palmated flock, mostly on the drier part near a tiny inlet on the mudflat, once going into the water at the shore. Best of all, it was close enough that we could see it with binoculars (after hours of scanning the other mudflat with scopes, John, Jim and Emilie were much relieved). Yowsa!
Tomorrow may not be the best time to try, given the forecast of rain and wind but, with any luck, it will stick around. Per Logan's comments (and our experience), later in the afternoon and/or high tide may provide the better opportunities as that is when the plovers and peeps seem to come in to rest/forage in this area (which is apparently not subject to tidal action).
A lifer for me, well worth the mud, wind and somewhat limited/distant viewing points.
Tread lightly, and good luck!
Richard BradusSan Francisco

On Thursday, March 28, 2024, 10:18:07 PM PDT, Logan Kahle <logan...> wrote:

The plover was present for 4 minutes around 1:30pm, for another 2
minutes around 4pm. It appeared again around 5:30, and was almost
continuously visible through a little after 6:15 when we departed (as
rain had become unpleasant). It was primarily hanging around this region
37.4944897, -122.1498799. It was most easily visible where there is a
bend in the mud dike here 37.4945740, -122.1492375. Observers were
present at that location almost continuously from 11am-6:15pm. This
pattern matches Marty's experience in the previous evening. I saw the
plover once at the dike west of those coordinated looking east, but that
view was distant. All good views of this bird were obtained at the above
coordinates. I was joined by various observers through the day, but much
of the best views occurred in the evening with Etan Monk, Lucas
Stephenson, Michael Park, Rachel Lawrence and Karen Pinkard.