Date: 3/28/24 7:30 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [cobirds] Dinosaur Ridge - Denver Field Ornithologists (28 Mar 2024) 24 Raptors
Dinosaur Ridge - Denver Field Ornithologists
Colorado, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Mar 28, 2024

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 2 4 4
Osprey 0 1 1
Bald Eagle 0 27 27
Northern Harrier 0 3 3
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 7 7
Cooper's Hawk 2 11 11
American Goshawk 0 1 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 14 227 227
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Swainson's Hawk 0 0 0
Ferruginous Hawk 0 12 12
Golden Eagle 2 9 9
American Kestrel 3 10 10
Merlin 0 3 3
Peregrine Falcon 1 2 2
Prairie Falcon 0 3 3
Mississippi Kite 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 1 1
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 24 321 321

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Dustin Kohler

Observers: Ajit Antony, Chip Dawes, Dave Erickson, Lori Morton,
Mariane Erickson

Visitors:
We had 25 visitors to the ridge today who varied from super interested to
being downright disrespectful and went off trail despite the directions we
gave. Hopefully, we will see most of these visitors again.

Weather:
Today was a very sunny day. The sky was cloudy most of the day, but the
clouds were very thin and wispy. It gave a nice background to view
migrants.

The wind started from the Southeast, and it switched to an eastern
(cross-wind) which did seem to affect migration.

Raptor Observations:
Most of our migrants were directly above us or to the west of us.

We had two local Turkey Vultures one of which was a juvenile. One of the
two turkey vultures was being hounded and attacked by a Red-tailed hawk.

We saw Red-tailed hawk courtship a few times, and a local male kestrel
flying south.

Non-raptor Observations:
We saw the same raven pass by at least four times. We could tell it was the
same one because it was missing 2 or 3 secondary flight feathers.

We had my first on the ridge Stellars Jay today that stuck around for a few
moments.

We also had a herd of about a dozen elk, and another herd of about 15 mule
deer both around bare slope.

Predictions:
It's possible I looked at tomorrow's weather for this section yesterday. It
looks to start raining around 1 and keep raining the rest of the day. The
temperature looks to be in the 40s with a moderate wind shifting from the
east to the north.

I'll be up there until the rain is super strong, or it becomes clear that
nothing is moving in the rain. As always if it builds into a thunderstorm
we will leave the count early.
Report submitted by Official Counter (<j.f.peters58...>)
Dinosaur Ridge - Denver Field Ornithologists information may be found at:
http://www.dfobirds.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=123

Site Description:
Dinosaur Ridge is the only regularly staffed hawk watch in Colorado and is
the best place in the world to see migrating Ferruginous Hawks. Hawk
watchers may see 17 species of migrating raptors; and it is an excellent
site to see rare dark morph buteos including Broad-winged hawk,
Swainson’s hawk, Ferruginous hawk, Rough-legged hawk and Red-tailed Hawk.
Other raptors we see include Golden and Bald Eagles, Northern harrier,
Osprey, Peregrine Falcons, Prairie Falcons, Cooper's and Sharp-shinned
Hawks, American Kestrels, Merlin, and Turkey Vultures. American Goshawk is
uncommon but also counted each season. Non-raptor species include Rock
Wren, Bushtit, Western Bluebird, Sandhill Crane, White-throated Swift,
American White Pelican, and Dusky Grouse. Birders of any skill level are
always welcome. The hawk watch at Dinosaur Ridge is staffed by a Hawk
Counter and volunteers from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM from March 1st to May 10th,
weather permitting.

Directions to site:
From exit 259 on I-70 towards Morrison, drive south under freeway and take
left into first parking lot, the Stegosaurus lot. Follow hawk watch signs
from the southwest end of the parking lot to the hawk watch site. The hike
starts heading east on an old two-track and quickly turns south onto a
trail on the west side of the ridge. When the trail nears the top of the
ridge, turn left, and walk to the flat area at the crest of the ridge.
(Distance: 0.56 miles, Elevation gain: 259 feet)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<0101018e880b4caf-6f73a7e3-a9b1-407e-9da6-9cf1ed27aca9-000000...>

Join us on Facebook!