Date: 3/28/24 7:02 pm
From: Aster Droste <eviedroste...>
Subject: Help needed! Downtown LR collision monitoring project
Hi everyone! As some of you may know from previous discussions, I've been
trying to locate bird-window collision hotspots in Arkansas using
iNaturalist observations. If you'd like to check it out, here's the project
<https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/arkansas-bird-window-collisions>.
(Warning that the observations contain many pictures of dead birds,
including some blood/gore.) There's also this document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XpGpgP6p8o0Y2knU7qwcdFbKoYsGyZw0eKTRRECqfo8/edit?usp=drivesdk>
which
details my methods. It's still a work in progress, as I plan to add a
conclusions/recommendations section.

Over the past few months I've been in discussion with Lynn Foster for her
webinar on bird-window collisions, and she suggested that I take this
further and try to start an on-the-ground monitoring team in Little Rock
for this spring migration. Ideally, this team would establish a series of
routes through downtown and patrol them once or twice a week in the morning
during April and May to look for collision victims and document them,
probably splitting up into pairs to cover more ground while staying safe.
If enough people respond with interest, we could probably try to start this
weekend, especially since the next weekend may be too chaotic to go
downtown with the eclipse travellers and such.

If anyone in other cities wants to work on collision monitoring too, that
would be fantastic! The more data the better. Some smaller towns have
"downtowns"/city centers that could be easily be checked once a week by one
person with an iNaturalist account. With the data we collect about
dangerous areas/buildings and overall collision mortality, we can more
effectively petition for bird-safe glass and lighting policies. (Speaking
of which, I don't have the time to start a Lights Out Arkansas program
right now, but I think it's sorely needed if someone wants to take on that
project.)

Let me know if you're in the LR area and interested in getting involved
with this effort!!

Aster Droste (he/him)

or click the following link: