Date: 3/28/24 6:40 pm
From: Dianne & Steve Kinder <000000023c9fba03-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Golden Plovers and more at Swan Lake NWR, Chariton County.
This afternoon Terry McNeely and I observed a flock of 700+ American Golden Plovers at the DU unit in the middle of Swan Lake Refuge. We had 400+ at the same location on the 29th last year. The next week I saw 2000 at that same place. Today we also saw a few each Baird's and Pectoral Sandpipers, and Wilson's Snipe.
Good variety of Waterfowl still around and lots of Blackbirds. We had a flock of about 3000 Blackbirds across the road from Taylor Point. These were about 95 percent Common Grackles, with a small number of Red-winged Blackbirds. Terry spotted two Yellow-headed Blackbirds in this large mass! A very good day!

Good Spring Birding!
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston County
<dmkinder...>

MBS Spring Meeting: May 3 – 5, 2024 at Stoney Creek Inn, St. Joseph, MO.
Details and registration: https://mobirds.org/MBS/NextMeeting.aspx

Join us on Facebook!