Date: 3/28/24 4:35 pm
Subject: Whip-poor-will site fidelity
Good Evening. From a science standpoint, this might not be all that
groundbreaking (i.e., Eastern Whip-poor-wills are probably just like
many/most other birds in returning to precise breeding territories), but
it's still pretty cool. I had a reunion of sorts a couple weeks ago with a
"vocally banded" Whip-poor-will in Fant's Grove WMA near Clemson, SC.

Last year, on 6 March 2023, I essentially found the birds just as they were
arriving and beginning to sort out their territories. In this recording
from that date, you can hear one bird singing from the beginning and it is
eventually joined by a second bird (first heard at about 0:13 and a few
times after that): https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S130298613__;!!OToaGQ!pppcCxeEi6gy_C-vcnm6ESKuUCCa6_FM1_4Ji51o46rS1XqkMI5SbW3slqh9oaR1BSoHTJN-Sax4CiTywq8j$ . The second bird
was distinguishable by its slightly higher-pitched "WILL!" note (to the ear
it is much more notable than can actually be seen on the spectrogram), and
this bird apparently won the rights to that particular patch, as I would
always find him singing there. I gave him a really creative name--"B21" (a
trail marker nearby).

He routinely used the same four or five singing locations marking the
periphery of his patch, including a favorite horizontal log about 1 foot
off the ground that was a former standing snag used by nesting Red-headed
Woodpeckers. He was in this same area virtually every time I checked from
March into June 2023.

On 18 March 2024, as I approached the spot, I heard a familiar voice. (I
realize there's always a chance another higher-than-average singer landed
in the same spot, but he rotated among all the same singing spots as well.)
He was about a week and a half later arriving this year, but most of the
other birds were as well. Since the 18th, he has been there every time I've
checked.

Kevin Kubach
Greenville/Clemson, SC

Join us on Facebook!