Date: 3/28/24 4:08 pm
From: Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] WW and West of Belle
The Evening Grosbeaks returned right after my last post and this morning
we had 10 at the feeders.  The Lewis's Woodpecker has stayed around and
is giving us endless enjoyment.  It has adopted a bird feeder built by
Ernie Miller and chases larger birds, such as the Blue Jays away, but
allows the smaller birds like Junco's, Goldfinches, and Siskins to
feed.  The Tree Sparrow is still around as well as large numbers of
other winter regulars.

We birded west of Belle this morning and returned via Upper Redwater,
Coxes lake, and McNenny hatchery.  Birds were really scarce west of
Belle, but sightings improved near Beulah, and McNenny.  Ducks sightings
included Mallard, Green-winged Teal, Ringed Neck, and Common Merganser.
Only FOY sighting was a single Turkey Vulture over McNenny.  Great-blue
Herons returned to the rookery just out of Beulah. Also nearby the
rookery was a huge flock of 150-200 Turkeys.  Raptor sightings were
limited to Red-tailed and Rough-legged Hawks and American Kestrel.
Starlings were migrating and we has several flocks of over 100 each.
Lots of Western Meadow Larks.  Nothing on the Osprey nest at Coxes Lake.

Vic/Donna Fondy 605.269.2553