Date: 3/28/24 4:05 pm
From: Alison Hiers via groups.io <lahiers...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Carmel Valley Recreation Center on Townsgate
I'm not sure if anyone has shouted this out before but we were surprised to find this morning that the upper field at the Carmel Valley Rec Center is fenced off and the field is completely torn up. You can bird everything else below, and we were able to scooch around the outside of the fencing and do some birding up top along the edges. Sadly they are replacing all that grass with astroturf. It will not be the hot spot for grass loving birds, and likely birds in general, that it has been. Evidently this project will not be complete until 2025. We did see a Plumbeous Vireo around the edges of the amphitheater (both sides west and east) and Lisa Ruby got photos.

Alison Hiers
Carlsbad

View/Reply Online (#15918): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15918
The monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) are currently virtual, open only to members, at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month.

Two notable on-line resources are available for San Diego birders: the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Phil Unitt (2004) - http://sdplantatlas.org/BirdAtlas/BirdPages.aspx ; and an update of notable records for San Diego County (2002–present), compiled by Paul Lehman - https://bvaudubon.org/birding-resources/ .