Date: 3/28/24 11:20 am
From: Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Possible Western Flycather
Mason,

Thanks for the photos.

When I first looked at the photo on my phone I felt that it looked good for Western and if I saw that bird out here in California, I probably would not look at it a 2nd time.

When, I looked on my computer screen, however, I was less optimistic so I sent it to a few experts out here.

The response so far has been mixed between lean to YBFL, not able to rule out either and could be Western but need more photos.

As for your thoughts, any of the Empidonax can have that crested look, especially when interacting with another bird. There are plenty of photos in eBird of crested appearing YBFL.

There are also plenty of images in eBird of YBFL with a similar eye-ring as your bird (thicker posteriorly). I do not think your bird's eye-ring has the classic, pointed teardrop shape of WEFL.

The bill appears within the range of both species.

The wing panel which is the really diagnostic character that needs to be seen is not visible enough. What you have circled on the primaries looks more like a YBFL wing panel than WEFL but without better angle/photos, I can't be sure. I tried to find some WEFL photos in ebird that were at a similar angle as your bird to see the wing panel at this angle. Unfortunately, the photos of WEFL wing panels that I found at a similar angle do not look like your bird's wing panel. See https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/585609111 https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/109415761 https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/585609081 https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/337563751

Your images are numbered 308 and 313. Are there additional images (309, 310, 311, and 312)?

Thanks,

Jim

James F. Holmes, MD, MPH
Professor and Executive Vice Chair