Date: 3/28/24 10:12 am
From: Patty Cheek via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Thomas Bancroft - Birding by Ear - Hurry register now
Zoom Course

Birds sing, and their songs are music to our ears. All through spring and summer, their sounds add a special sense to our time outside. Learning to identify birds by song is a skill that will allow you to find more species on your outings. With this knowledge, you will notice species on your walks to the mailbox or in your neighborhood that you might not have realized were around. Learning to identify birds by sound should enhance your outdoor experience and contribute to your sense of joy.

This course will build your skills in song and call identification. We will start with identifying song types, how to describe songs, and recognizing different patterns. We will explore this both through the ear and visually with sonograms. Second, we will tackle 30 or so common species found in suburban neighborhoods and local parks. This part will allow you to learn songs of species you might see regularly. Third, we will explore difficult species groups like flycatchers, warblers, and sparrows. Finally, we will look at similar-sounding songs and what species might be found in specific habitats. Distribution and habitat information can enhance your ability to identify a species.

Throughout the course, we will explore various tools, including Merlin, that might help you identify species. The course will consist of four presentations over Zoom, a series of self-grading quizzes, access to sound recordings made in Washington and Oregon, and additional material, including copies of the PowerPoint and video recordings of the presentation.

You will leave this course with a much better understanding of bird songs, how to identify them, tools to help you learn them, and how to build your abilities with practice. Most importantly, this will be fun and add to your enjoyment of birds.

Classes on Zoom – Tuesdays – 7:00-8:30 - ALL RECORDED for participants

April 2 - Listening to and understanding bird songs and calls
April 9 - Working through Suburban Bird Songs
April 16 - Species Groups
April 23 - Habitats and Similar Sounding Songs

Cost - $120
Go here to register. <https://www.whidbeyaudubonsociety.org/class-and-presentation-store/lfn2fo8i30lwrax5xchbhwbz3irnq5-becnj-rj9g9-ea9k3>