Date: 3/28/24 6:43 am
From: p c <pcollinsca48...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/26/24
External Email

SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/26/24
Season 12: Episode 0326 - I Want to Take You Higher

TL;DR
Migrating Raptors
Osprey 1
Common Black Hawk 15
Zone-tailed Hawk 31
Red-tailed Hawk 19
Swainson’s Hawk 3
Cooper’s Hawk 2
American Kestrel 2
Peregrine Falcon 1
Turkey Vulture 134

Other Raptors
Gray Hawk
Short-tailed Hawk

Raptors were ready to fly early today as the spate of unsettled weather eased. First up were kettles of Zonetails. Observers noted how a few Turkey Vultures tried to blend into the kettles by imitating the look and flight of Zonetails. The vultures could chose any one of 17 Zonetails to mimic.
Zonetails continued through out the day. Pairs of Zonetails entertained us with high altitude, high speed display flights over the park. Today’s 31 Zonetails is the new single day record.

An Osprey wandered by, the 14th, establishing a new season high count, pushing past last year’s record count.

Black Hawks thought they could pass north unnoticed by crossing over so high that only the fortuitous presence of clouds betrayed them. Such tiny silhouettes - I sought reassurance. Each time observers skilled with scopes and cameras verified our proclamations.

The dark Short-tailed Hawk returned to the park after its day of rest.

Late in the afternoon, the local female kestrel was hovering, hunting the weed field south west of the watch. A Peregrine dove. A burst of feathers obscured the view, leaving us uncertain.
We fear the leafless tree behind the ballpark backstop has lost its most noted ornament.

Peter Collins
Vail, AZ