Date: 3/28/24 5:08 am
From: Grove, Deborah Shuey <dsg4...>
Subject: March 27 Huntingdon/Mifflin counties Big Valley
Greg and I were out and about yesterday as usual looking for birds and were in Huntingdon and Mifflin counties. We first visited the Heronry that Greg checks and sends data to the PGC. He found 16 at the "Heronry established at this site for about ten years. Approx. 8-10 nests notes, some under construction as it appears some nests may have been lost since last year." Perhaps some of our wind storms this past winter blew some off. We heard several Eastern Meadowlarks and saw one. Also saw Horned Larks which are usually around through the winter. And we saw two Purple Martins flying near a farm. Other farms that have houses did not have their houses raised. One field had 12 American Pipits. We also found Kestrels and Killdeer. One big miss again this year were Wilson's Snipe at a sight we usually found them but haven't been there for three years. Looked for a Red-headed Woodpecker at a grove of trees where we have found one before but only heard a distant woodpecker that may have been one or a Red-bellied. We were able to assign Probably codes to several species. 30 species in all

Join us on Facebook!