Date: 3/8/23 9:05 pm
From: <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Swallow migration Claremont
Hi Kimball,
Tonight in Claremont was majority Cliff Swallows, a decent minority of
Violet green, with just barely a few swallows of the other species.
Tom

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont, LA County
909.241.3300

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023, 8:02 PM Kimball Garrett <cyanolyca818...> wrote:

> Re: Swallow movements....
>
> I find it interesting that many observers have noted large numbers of
> swallows moving through the region the past couple of days (certainly not
> unexpected in early March) but there is clearly variation in the species
> mix. I get the impression that Cliff Swallows have been the dominant
> species over the coastal basins, and most reports from the Lancaster area
> in the Antelope Valley indicate that Tree Swallows were the most abundant
> species, followed by Cliff Swallow. Today in Juniper Hills (1000' above
> the floor of the Antelope Valley, on the north slope of the San Gabriel
> Mtns.) there was a constant trickle of swallows (about 80 total), but
> except for a single Cliff Swallow, they were ALL Violet-green Swallows. I
> suspect that Violet-greens, being woodland and montane breeders, may take a
> slightly different route in spring migration, sticking closer to the
> mountains and being relatively less common over the flat desert areas.
> Just curious if anybody else has noted such a pattern.
>
> Kimball Garrett
> Juniper Hills, CA
>
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 4:58 PM <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am walking from the Claremont Metrolink Station to my house and there
>> is a steady, non-stop stream of swallows flying westbound. Last night the
>> same thing happened when I stood outside searching the skies in vain for
>> Swainson's Hawks. As the sun was going down the swallows were flying lower
>> and lower over my house. I had about 120 last night (multiple species).
>>
>> Thomas Geza Miko
>> Claremont, LA County
>> 909.241.3300
>> "With a sufficiently large sample size a correlation can at once be both
>> very significant and too small worth discussing."--Daniel Kahneman

Listowners: mailto:<LACoBirds-owner...>
-=-=-
Group Owner: LACoBirds+<owner...>
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/LACoBirds/unsub [<lists...>]