Date: 8/6/22 9:03 am
From: Ty Smedes <ty.smedes...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Prairie City Black-bellied Whistling Duck Brood
About a dozen people stopped to see & photograph the BB Whistling Duck
brood, early this morning. The group included a couple of DSM Camera Club
people, but I didn't recognize any birders.

One Prairie City local said the property owner checked the nest (after the
brood had moved to the pond) and there were 8 unhatched eggs. There are 18
ducklings, and counting the 8 unhatched eggs, the 26 egg total may indicate
a dump nest. This person did say there was believed to be a 3rd BB duck.

Have attached 3 photos, including one of the hen brooding the youngsters on
shore, a 2nd photo with the ducklings lined up and ready to hit the water,
and a 3rd photo of the parents leading the brood across the pond.

I hate to use that over-used "C" word, but they were cute!

Ty Smedes

Ty Smedes Nature Photography
Polk City
Iowa

www.smedesphoto.com <http://www.smedesphoto.com>
phone #515-984-9632

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it" - Thomas Jefferson