Date: 8/5/22 9:09 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] When Sharpies act like swallows - Enjoying the sky show!
Jim

I worked on Swainson’s Hawks ages ago and published on their dragonfly eating behavior. As far as I know, all raptors that catch dragonflies in the air do it with the talons. What you will see is fast changes in direction, and the talons will be deployed and visible when they catch a dragonfly. So you may want to look for that type of movement. Merlins are a bit different, but the quick changes in direction are apparent when they are in the dragonfly group.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

<http://www.alvarosadventures.com> www.alvarosadventures.com