Date: 8/5/22 7:15 pm
From: Drew Haffenden <andrew...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Gull on Pelican Island
That's a Herring Gull.

Cheers

Drew Haffenden
________________________________
From: <ALbirds...> <ALbirds...> on behalf of Duncan, Scot via groups.io <sduncan...>
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 3:35:01 PM
To: <ALbirds...> <ALbirds...>

Hi Larry,
That is indeed a strange gull, and a difficult identification. I ran into a similar gull on July 4th at Pensacola Beach, and eventually Lucy and I concluded it was a Herring Gull. I was also impressed with its huge bill, which I eventually hypothesized looked large because of muscle and feather loss around the head. The link to the checklist and photos is below. In the comments I included the full analysis that led us to conclude it was a HEGU. Attached is a couple of photos of the July 4 bird which you can see is a different individual based on bill and tail color and overall plumage differences.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S114384471

R. Scot Duncan

Please excuse brevity and/or typos. No discourtesy intended.
Biology Department
Birmingham-Southern College
900 Arkadelphia Road
Birmingham, AL, 35254