Date: 8/5/22 5:53 pm
From: Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Great Shearwater, New London
Phil Rusch gave some good advice for birding from the New London ferry. Some additional tips:
- get to the bow on the upper deck for the best viewing. Scan continually ahead and to the sides (180+ degree views) both by naked eye and with binoculars. Scan the sky for flying birds as well as the water for sitting birds. Be alert, and try to get photos of any interesting birds; sometimes photos are a big help in determining a positive ID.
- More eyes the better for spotting birds. Bring a friend or two.
- while it may seem the ferry isn’t moving very fast, it’s surprising how quickly you can pass by a bird of interest. Act quickly and yell location to your birder friends. Take photos!
- the CT/NY state line is roughly mid-Sound. Track the boat’s location using Google Maps on your phone. The map shows the state line in relation to the boat position. I do a separate EBird list for CT waters and for NY waters.

The New London ferry has proven to be CT’s best chance for real oceanic pelagic birds. The crossing is closer to the Ocean than the Bridgeport ferry. Even so, I and others have seen pelagic birds (Wilson’s Storm-Petrel, razorbill, etc) from the latter ferry as well over the years. I rode the Bpt ferry yesterday but saw no pelagic birds.

Good birding!

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone