Date: 8/5/22 1:49 pm
From: flyingcarlini via groups.io <flyingcarlini...>
Subject: [NEBirds] White Ibis visitors BEWARE of nests underfoot
Hello birders,

We were able to scope Joel's J.'s exciting immature White Ibis discovery at Kirkpatrick WMA North this morning, but while walking across the dry open area not far northwest of the windmill and quite a distance from the water's edge, we almost stepped on a duck nest!  Unfortunately we weren't able to identify the species as it flushed from the ground just a few feet in front of where we were walking.  There was 1 creamy white single egg in a conspicuous completely exposed nest on the ground on the edge of a clump of vegetation just over a foot high.  But John had seen the duck flush not from that exposed nest, but from a couple feet away in the middle of the clump of vegetation where he spied a well-concealed nest with 5 eggs that was only visible from directly above so would have been easy to accidentally step on if the parent had't been present to tip us off.  So from then on we picked a path on open patches of ground, avoided dense clumps of vegetation, and started watching our step!  So for anyone chasing that WHIB, you may want to avoid hidden nests in patches of dense vegetation - we were very lucky to not have unwittingly tromped on that nest.  We hadn't expected birds to be nesting this late in that habitat, but Birds of Nebraska Online shows late July breeding dates for both Blue-winged Teal and Mallard, and says they are the 1st and 2nd most common breeding duck species in the Rain Water Basin so maybe one of those 2?  Google pics show both species' eggs are creamy white like the eggs we saw.

on eBird
-Shari Schwartz & John Carlini, Lincoln