Date: 8/5/22 11:43 am
From: Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Gull on Pelican Island
This large, huge-billed gull was on Pelican Island, Dauphin Island this
morning. At first I passed it off as Great Black-backed, but the
patterning on the back isn't quite right. The legs are pink while other
features are far from adult. And the eye color is striking. Amar Ayyash
(from the Facebook group North American Gulls) doesn't think the bill is
right for Great Black-backed, either.

If anyone else has seen this gull, I'd like to know. If someone has photos
of the bird in flight, those could be very helpful in making an
identification. Amar would love to see them.

If you are in the Mobile area, you might want to check to see if this gull
is still around and get some photos, particularly flight photos.

Larry Gardella
Daphne