Date: 8/4/22 8:49 am
From: <aj...>
Subject: RE: [ia-bird] Prairie City Whistling-Duck nest update
I believe this is the third documented nesting. The first was in 2019 in Mills County followed by one in 2020 in Clinton County. I suspect with the plethora of sightings this summer there will be others as well. It looks like Black-bellied Whistling-Duck has become a staple of Iowa’s avifauna although still notable.

Ann Johnson

Norwalk

From: Karen Viste-Sparkman <vistesparrow...> <mailto:<vistesparrow...> >

Date: 8/4/22 9:13 AM (GMT-06:00)

To: Iowa Birds <ia-bird...> <mailto:<ia-bird...> >

I received a report that the Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks in Prairie City have 12 ducklings and they were making their way to the pond this morning. It has been fun to hear about this nesting in real time!

Karen Viste-Sparkman

Des Moines