Date: 8/3/22 8:18 am
From: 'Stan Buman' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] (not a bird obserevation) Limpkin food
Thanks for this information Doug.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 3, 2022, at 9:21 AM, Doug & Nina Harr <dnharr...> wrote:

Last week there were questions about what kind of snail the Limpkin at Little Storm Lake Marsh has been eating. By observing a photo of the Limpkin holding a snail, Jennifer Kurth, from Iowa DNR, has pretty well confirmed it is an invasive species called the Chinese mystery snail. Jennifer's response to Jane Clark (who contacted Jennifer) said the snail was "Introduced to the US for aquariums. I hope the limpkin sticks to the snails before it heads south, because it will eat our native mussels as well."

Doug Harr
Ogden