Date: 8/2/22 1:41 pm
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: White ibises in Centerton
I saw from the eBird reports that there were two juvenile white ibises
at the hatchery yesterday.
I'm about 4 days into dealing with covid, and have a couple sick kids at
home, but just took some cold and flu medicine and went to look anyway.
I didn't touch anything and I was alone there so, big time social
distancing.
When I pulled in I saw people mowing so I just knew I wouldn't have any
luck.
They were first reported(assuming by pictures) in the biggest upper pond
yesterday morning and then it was reported they were in the lower ponds
later in the day.
Since you park by the upper ponds, I always go up the hill and scan.
They weren't there.
I went down to the lower ponds and the truck that flings fish food out
was going by all the ponds.
I definitely wasn't going to have any luck.

I was wrong. Two juvenile white ibises were still present even with that
truck going around. I don't think the mowers had reached those ponds yet
so I don't know how they'll behave if a mower starts mowing near those
pond edges. They may stick around or, move on. I'll get pictures up at
some point. This is my third time seeing white ibises every(unless I saw
some many years ago while not being a birder and just don't remember,
which is actually likely.) ALL three times are this year and all in
Arkansas... three different counties.

Also saw at least 5 or 6 solitary sandpipers... which I sometimes
chuckle at when I see a few together... solitary, you know.
Spotted sandpipers... least... I believe a pectoral(have to double check
my photos) and a buff-breasted. That one was a surprise. I don't see
those often so that was exciting.
Also of interest... ELEVEN egyptian geese. I had never seen that many at
once.

Recovering in Siloam Springs,
Daniel Mason

or click the following link: