Date: 7/30/22 5:39 am
From: C Wood via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Cockonoe Tern Colony
There was recently here a discussion about the decline of the tern colony on Cockonoe Island in Westport. I visited the area several times between 2016 and 2019 (from a boat well offshore) and photographed what was a large and healthy colony. For anyone interested, I have an album of those photos here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E <https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/Xrwa33264E>

This tern colony did have to deal with high tides as well as dogs and humans disrupting nesting activity. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that terns can find another suitable location for a colony this size, at least along the western Connecticut coast.

Chris Wood

Woodbury, CT
203 558-0654