Date: 7/29/22 11:16 am
From: Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] CACC
7/29-Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 10:50am-12:10pm. tide
rising, 85F, overcast, breezy.
A brief visit this morning, as I watched the Purple Martin crew tend to our
Purple Martin colony. Two chicks fledged as we were there observing, a few
more still in their gourds. One gourd still has 4 eggs, which are not
viable.
The adults were sitting on top of each pole, some with dragonflies in their
beaks, waiting patiently to feed their young.
Our ospreys are doing well. Lots of calling this morning. Two of the young
have fledged and one was still on the nest being fed a fish, while the
other two were flying around the grounds.
5 young yellow crowned night herons flying around and landing in the trees.
Around the center grounds: 2 Song sparrows (one was banded), 1 young
Common Grackle and 1 young Starling were bathing and drinking from our
water fountain, 8 Mourning doves, 2 American Robins, 1 American Crow, 1
Mockingbird, 1 Catbird, 2 singing Cardinals, 2 House finches.
Our pollinator garden is teeming with butterflies, caterpillars and bees.
Bev Propen, Orange