Date: 7/28/22 8:36 am
From: Scott Loss <scottrloss...>
Subject: Snowy Plover - Lake Carl Blackwell
With the rain and approaching mid-summer cold front in northern Oklahoma
this morning, I headed out to Lake Carl Blackwell near Stillwater in hopes
of catching some early waterbird migrants. I was not disappointed, as there
were quite a few interesting-for-July birds at the lake. The best bird by
far was a Snowy Plover that flew in front of me and then briefly landed at
Ski Point before continuing on. Although this species nests only an hour
and a half northwest at the Salt Plains, it is very rare locally, and this
appears to be the first Payne County record.

Other interesting sightings included several Black Terns foraging over the
lake, and several other shorebirds including Least, Semipalmated, Upland,
Solitary, and Spotted Sandpipers.

Although we tend to think of July as the mid-summer doldrums birding-wise,
I'd encourage everyone to get out as much as possible, especially when
these summer cold fronts come through. Along with known early migrants like
shorebirds and terns, there are a lot of other interesting post-breeding
dispersal and early fall migration movements at this time of year!

Scott Loss
Stillwater

Join us on Facebook!