Date: 7/28/22 6:04 am
From: sgg.bluesfan <sgg.bluesfan...>
Subject: Re: Charlene Malone
So sad to hear.  Her posts out here were so informative.  Really missed her posts when not here.When I lived in the St Louis area we crossed paths a few times but did not know each other by sight or name.  I do remember a morning in Castlewood with Jim just past the railroad bridge where we introduced ourselves.With Charlene my funniest story is I went to see a very rare gull at Saylorville Lake just north of Des Moines.  I noted on the parking lot another car with Missouri plates.  I found a small group of birders and stood with and not long after the gull made its appearance.  Upon returning home I posted the sighting of the gull here on the Listserve and not long after got an Email from Charlene "Steve was that you next to us?".With her knowledge wish I would have birded with her more.  My greatest sympathy to Jim and their family.Steve <GriffawSgg.bluesfan...> Jefferson City MOSent via the Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Cornelius Alwood <calwood...> Date: 7/28/22 7:48 AM (GMT-06:00) To: <MOBIRDS-L...> Subject: Charlene Malone Mo Birders,Jim Malone informed me that his wife, Charlene Malone died last night. “She went peacefully,” Jim said. But that’s not how Charlene lived. She was a force of nature in the St. Louis birding community. For two decades Charlene birded the area from Busch CA to the west to Carlyle Lake to the east from Two Rivers NWR to the north to Baldwin Lake to the south, Charlene was there and often in several places in a day’s time.Few birders could match her keen eye, nor her knowledge of bird song. And in those two decades no one found more “Hot-Line” birds than Charlene did. I remember a day in early April, 2000, when she called in a Black Scoter at Riverlands and within a couple of hours, she called again to report a Ruff on Collinsville Road in nearby Illinois.Physical infirmities finally caught up with Charlene. She has been inactive for a few years, but there was a time……Connie AlwoodSt. Louis CountySent from my iPhone------------------------------------------------------------The Missouri Birding Society's Wild Bird Discussion ForumList archives: https://po.missouri.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=MOBIRDS-LMBS Website: http://mobirds.org/Questions or comments? Email the list owners: mailto:<mobirds-l-request...> unsubscribe or change subscription options: https://po.missouri.edu/SCRIPTS/wa.exe/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1MBS Fall Meeting Sep 23 - 25, 2022 in Columbia, MO. Details and registration: https://mobirds.org/ASM/NextMeeting.aspxABA Birding Code of Ethics: http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html