Date: 7/28/22 5:47 am
From: Cornelius Alwood <calwood...>
Subject: Charlene Malone
Mo Birders,

Jim Malone informed me that his wife, Charlene Malone died last night. “She went peacefully,” Jim said. But that’s not how Charlene lived. She was a force of nature in the St. Louis birding community. For two decades Charlene birded the area from Busch CA to the west to Carlyle Lake to the east from Two Rivers NWR to the north to Baldwin Lake to the south, Charlene was there and often in several places in a day’s time.

Few birders could match her keen eye, nor her knowledge of bird song. And in those two decades no one found more “Hot-Line” birds than Charlene did. I remember a day in early April, 2000, when she called in a Black Scoter at Riverlands and within a couple of hours, she called again to report a Ruff on Collinsville Road in nearby Illinois.

Physical infirmities finally caught up with Charlene. She has been inactive for a few years, but there was a time……

Connie Alwood
St. Louis County

Sent from my iPhone