Date: 7/27/22 4:57 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 27
Mike Dillon (TX) and I surveyed birds today at Red Slough and found 47
species. It was partly cloudy and hot with a light wind. Almost nothing
was singing. Oh note, we had one of the continuing Limpkins and
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks were apparently staging early as I had a large
flock of 30+ birds plus several smaller groups. The heronry is now full of
fledgling birds and gallinule young are everywhere you look. Here is our
list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 43

Wood Duck - 17

Pied-billed Grebe - 10

Neotropic Cormorant - 10

Anhinga - 52

Great-blue Heron - 10

Great Egret - 17

Snowy Egret - 48

Little-blue Heron - 114

Cattle Egret - ~20,000

Green Heron - 17

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 5

White Ibis - 211

Black Vulture - 6

Turkey Vulture - 23

Mississippi Kite - 3

Purple Gallinule - 86 (adults & older young. Also, numerous broods of
smaller young.)

Common Gallinule - 75 (adults & older young. Also, numerous broods of
smaller young.)

American Coot - 1

Limpkin - 1

Spotted Sandpiper - 1