Date: 7/27/22 8:56 am
From: Tim Kavan <tkavan_76...>
Subject: Re: No Sighting - Painted Bunting Habitat Ponderings
I didn't put location in my previous email, but I work in the Scott, Mississippi, New Madrid, Pemiscot and Dunklin county area

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 27, 2022, at 7:04 AM, Chris Barrigar <1chrisbarrigar...> wrote:

What with Lisa's comment several weeks ago in response to the observation of four individual Painted Buntings at one location, aside from two additional Painted Buntings (PABU) about 3/4 mile away, It made me think a bit more regarding this species preferred habitat in MO.

Lisa mentioned the Springfield quarry has been a reliable location for many years for PABU there in the SW MO.

Looking at historical records of where the PABU have been observed here in central MO and present-day observations, the locations are mostly quarry site remnants or nearby is/was a quarried area.

If you have access to an area near you or that you know of that was a quarry at some time in the past that has a few young trees (Cottonwood and Black Locust seem to be common here at the Jefferson City locations), you may want to check it out for PABU.

Just a thought with regard to the potential preferred habitat of the MO PABU's.

Bird on!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO
<1chrisbarrigar...><mailto:<1chrisbarrigar...>

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cbarrigar

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." JOHN MUIR

Archives<https://po.missouri.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=MOBIRDS-L> / Subscription options<https://po.missouri.edu/SCRIPTS/wa.exe/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1> / MBS Website<http://mobirds.org> / Email the list owners<mailto:<mobirds-l-request...>

MBS Fall Meeting Sep 23 - 25, 2022 in Columbia, MO. Details and Online Registration<https://www.mobirds.org/ASM/NextMeeting.aspx>