Date: 7/27/22 5:03 am
From: Chris Barrigar <1chrisbarrigar...>
Subject: No Sighting - Painted Bunting Habitat Ponderings
What with Lisa's comment several weeks ago in response to the observation of four individual Painted Buntings at one location, aside from two additional Painted Buntings (PABU) about 3/4 mile away, It made me think a bit more regarding this species preferred habitat in MO.

Lisa mentioned the Springfield quarry has been a reliable location for many years for PABU there in the SW MO.

Looking at historical records of where the PABU have been observed here in central MO and present-day observations, the locations are mostly quarry site remnants or nearby is/was a quarried area.

If you have access to an area near you or that you know of that was a quarry at some time in the past that has a few young trees (Cottonwood and Black Locust seem to be common here at the Jefferson City locations), you may want to check it out for PABU.

Just a thought with regard to the potential preferred habitat of the MO PABU's.

Bird on!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO
<1chrisbarrigar...><mailto:<1chrisbarrigar...>

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cbarrigar

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." JOHN MUIR