Date: 7/26/22 8:23 pm
From: Timothy Barksdale <timothy.barksdale...>
Subject: Alert to the birds
Hello all,

While this is not a report of any incredible rarity within the boundaries
of Missouri, I hope many of you will be excited to receive an update on
various species very close by.

First, I'd like to report a Cole county Mississippi Kite in Jefferson City
just south of Missouri Blvd heading toward the Painted Bunting locations.

My day began with a note that a Swallow-tailed Kite was identified within
100 yards of the Missouri border south of Jane, MO. Sighted from Belle
Vista AR it was heading NE toward the border.

There have been multiple Anhingas either just south of the Bootheel or at
Reelfoot and one now in northern Illinois.

The Mexican Violetear seen for nearly a week in Eureka Springs, AR
disappeared a few days ago. Most of the Violetears seem to head north.
Since Eureka Springs is only 8 air miles south of Missouri and other
individuals have been seen in Kansas and Oklahoma, there are likely a dozen
birds moving near or in our state.

Minnesota has had an incredible year with Abert's & Green-tailed Towhees,
Acorn Woodpecker, and of course- Limpkin.

This is the time when post-breeding dispersal of young herons, spoonbill,
ibis and Wood Stork occurs.

I became practically elated to hear about the Buff-breasted Sandpipers
returning, fall migration of sandpipers is one of the highlights of the
birding year.

Alex Marine has been looking through large numbers of swallows near Shawnee
Trail combing or the elusive Cave Swallow.

Wichita KS has breeding Cassin's Sparrow which begin singing actively in
the monsoon season. Things like this make me wonder how many non-singing
young males are scattered further east.

Meanwhile we have had torrential rains in the St. Louis area so I send my
sincere hopes that all are well and safe there. Hurricane Season is upon us
and although we love the storm-bourne birds, we also hope that no one is
injured or killed due to them.

Anyway, I think the end of summer is about to bring us some very exciting
birds- afterall - Edge is in OZ/!! :) And I think she wished us bodacious
birding in her absence so... Bird On!!

Tim Barksdale
Mokane, MO
& Choteau, MT